Up to $50,000 is available from Youth Opportunities Program for young people to lead and participate in community development activities.
Youth Opportunities Program
The Youth Opportunities program provides one-off, time-limited grants to non-government organisations and local government. Funding is for new projects that enable young people to lead and participate in community development activities.
The Youth Opportunities program is managed by the Inclusion and Early Intervention Directorate in the Commissioning Division, Department of Family and Community Services. The Inclusion and Early Intervention Directorate is responsible for the delivery of a range of programs that promote and enhance community participation. These programs aim to make it easier for all people to be involved in their communities.
Youth Opportunities is based on the principles of:
- inclusiveness and participation for all young people
- building young people’s knowledge and skills
- partnering with young people in the development of community based networks.
The Youth Opportunities program aims to:
- increase the number of youth-led and youth-driven community activities throughout NSW
- engage young people in projects which overcome barriers to participation in the community.
Projects funded under the program will:
- deliver a youth-led and youth-driven community project.
- improve young people’s access to and inclusion in community activities such as sport and recreation, cultural and other activities
- provide young people with knowledge and skills to strengthen their ability to participate in their local communities such as developing teamwork, communication, decision-making and leadership skills
- recognise the contribution young people make to their local communities.
Non-government organisations and local Councils in NSW are invited to apply for a grant between $10,000 and $50,000 to deliver a Youth Opportunities project for up to 12 months.
A detailed budget is required as part of the grant application. In-kind contributions are also to be identified in the budget.
Project funding can include:
- costs associated with implementing the project, including project coordination
- up to 10% of the budget can be used for the administration of the project
- up to 10% of the budget can be used to purchase minor equipment (applicants must demonstrate the need for these purchases in their application)
- up to 5% of the budget can be used for catering.
The Youth Opportunities program seeks to fund innovative projects that increase young people’s connections to the community. The program provides a unique platform for eligible organisations to build authentic and meaningful partnerships with young people in their community. The more successful these relationships are, the more likely young people are to seek further opportunities to participate and stay engaged in their community beyond the funding period.
Projects funded under the Youth Opportunities program are to involve young people at every stage of the project. It is expected that young people will take an active role in identifying, designing and implementing these projects and that these projects offer creative solutions to issues that are important to them.
To be eligible for funding the organisation must be either:
- an incorporated non-Government not-for-profit organisation operating in NSW, or
- a NSW local government authority.
Applications close 16 July 2019.